25th Aug, 2020
National Council for Transgender Persons constituted
National Council for Transgender Persons has been recently constituted.
Ministry: The Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment.
Council’s chairperson: The Social Justice Minister.
- Officials from some other Ministries.
- Five nominated members from the transgender community.
Associated Act: Transgender Persons (Protection of Rights) Act, 2019.
- Advising the central government on the formulation of policies, with respect to transgender persons
- Monitoring and evaluating the impact of policies
- Reviewing and coordinating the activities of all the departments
- Redressing grievances of transgender persons
- Performing other functions as prescribed by the Centre.
Three-day Naval Commanders Conference (NCC) recently held
A three-day Naval Commanders Conference (NCC) was recently held.
According to the Indian Defence Minister, the Navy has effectively carried out Mission Based Deployments (MBD).
They were carried out to protect maritime interests.
Under MBD, ships and aircraft at major and sensitive locations were deployed.
Under MBD concept, Indian ships were Mission Deployed for:
- Operation ‘GULFDEP’ in the Persian Gulf
- Operation ‘CENTDEP’ in the central Indian Ocean Region
- Operation ‘NORDEP’ in the northern Bay of Bengal
- Operation ‘MALDEP’ in the Andaman Sea and approaches to the Malacca Strait.
National Strategy for Financial Education (NSFE): 2020-2025 released
The National Strategy for Financial Education (NSFE): 2020-2025 document was released.
Released by: RBI.
This NSFE is the second one after the 2013-18 NSFE.
Prepared by: The National Centre for Financial Education (NCFE)
- All the Financial Sector Regulators (RBI, SEBI, IRDAI and PFRDA),
- Various Indian Central Ministries
- Stakeholders under the aegis of the Technical Group on Financial Inclusion and Financial Literacy
- Development of relevant content in curriculum in schools, colleges and training establishments
- Developing capacity among intermediaries involved in providing financial services
- Leveraging the positive effect of community-led model for financial literacy through appropriate communication strategy
- Enhancing collaboration among various stakeholders
DNA Bill can be misused: Draft report
A draft report of the Parliamentary Standing Committee on Science and Technology has flagged the DNA bill.
Headed by: Jairam Ramesh
The report is yet to be finalized.
According to the Committee:
- The bill could be misused for caste or community-based profiling.
- DNA profiles can reveal extremely sensitive information of an individual such as pedigree, skin colour, health status and susceptibility to diseases.
- Disregard to an individual’s privacy and other safeguards is another concern.
- Consenting provision can be easily overridden by a magistrate, thereby, making consent perfunctory (no real effort).
- No guidance in the Bill as to when the magistrate can override consent.
It proposes DNA sampling and profiling of Indian citizens accused of crime or reported missing.
It shall store their unique genetic information for administrative purposes.
Nearly 60 countries have enacted similar legislation, with the U.S. bringing in a law in 1994.
China launches warship for Pakistan Navy
China has launched first of the four advanced naval warships for Pakistan.
The launching ceremony for the first warship was held at the Hudong Zhonghua Shipyard in Shanghai.
First ship is of Type-054 class frigate.
Equipped with: Latest surface, subsurface, anti-air weapons, combat management system, and sensors.
It will be one of the technologically advanced surface platforms of the Pakistan Navy fleet.
First-ever State Dragonfly Festival, named Thumbimahotsavam 2020, shall be held in Kerala.
‘Pantalu’ is the official mascot for the festival.
Organised by: WWF-India (Kerala unit), the Society for Odonate Studies (SOS) and Thumbipuranam
A dragonfly is an insect belonging to the order Odonata.